Rhinoplasty procedures can achieve a stunning variety of nose shapes and sizes. Each type according to the needs and desires of the patients. Interestingly, in spite of all this variability, there are still just two main categories of rhinoplasty: internal and open.
However, neither type of surgery is better than the other in all situations. Rather, they both have certain merits. As a result, the best choice for you will depend on the specific requirements of your nose and the effect you want to achieve.
The primary difference between the two forms is the placement of the incisions.
- With this procedure, the only incisions are actually inside your nostrils.
- The main advantage of internal procedures is that there are no visible scars. The reason why is that there are no incisions on the external skin.
- Fewer scars also means the healing process is more predictable. When incisions heal, sometimes the resulting scars will tighten unevenly. But sometimes they will not. More incisions and longer incisions increase the chances of uneven healing.
- This type of rhinoplasty can sometimes heal faster than its open counterpart, since the incisions are smaller.
- Internal rhinoplasty is often preferable for simple adjustments to the shape and size of the nose.
- This version of the procedure also involves a small incision across the columella. The columella is the narrow strip of skin in between your nostrils on the underside of your nose. While this is an external incision, it is still very small and short. Expert plastic surgeons have extensive training and delicate tools to help them minimize the chances of uneven scarring.
- Open rhinoplasty has the advantage of giving the surgeon more precise control over the shaping of the nose structure. This incision exposes the underlying structure, so the surgeon can see more clearly. Also, they can access this structure more directly for adjusting its shape.
- Furthermore, is better for more complex adjustments. Specially when the desired shape is significantly different from the previous form. It is also sometimes the choice for revision rhinoplasty.
In order to find out which type of surgery will be right for you, book a consultation with Solomon Facial Plastic Surgery today.
They will be able to examine your nose and its current structure. After you describe what you are looking for, they will be able to devise the best and most effective plan for helping you reach your goals!