- What to AVOID 2 Weeks Before Surgery
- What you Need
- How to Care for Incisions
- What you Need to Know
- What to AVOID post-surgery
PRE / POST-OPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS
PLEASE FOLLOW POST-CARE PROVIDED BY OUR CLINIC
PLEASE NOTE: If you have any concerns or questions prior to your surgery, you are encouraged to speak to Dr. Solomon in advance to ensure you are fully prepared for your surgical date.
1. What to AVOID 2 Weeks Before Surgery:
- Smoking/Vaping (Nicotine, Marijuana and CBD oil).
- Alcohol for at least 2 weeks pre-op, as it may increase bruising and prolong swelling.
- Naturopathic or herbal medications, unless approved by Dr. Solomon.
- MUST discontinue Aspirin, Advil or Ibuprofen and all blood thinners, as these products may increase bleeding and prolong swelling.
- MUST avoid Garlic extract, fish oils and Vitamin E and Arnica.
2. What you Need:
- Q-Tips / 4×4 sterile gauze.
- Vitamin C – Patients may take up to 2000 mg of Vitamin C daily for 2 weeks prior to surgery.
- Prescription for anti-biotic and pain will be provided by our clinic prior to your surgery.
- Ice packs.
- Headband (fitting snug).
- Please come arrive shaven for surgery.
- Please remove all jewellery and makeup from the neck up on the day of your surgery.
- Patients must have a ride arranged and confirmed.
- Recommended: Arnica by Sinecch, an herbal Supplement to help minimize bruising and swelling. To be taken following surgery. Sold in our clinic.
- Please come arrive shaven for surgery.
3. How to Care for Incisions:
- DO NOT clean incisions for the first 72 hours. After 3 days you can start to GENTLY clean incisions twice a day (morning and before bed) with hydrogen peroxide, using a Q-Tip or sterile non-woven gauze.
- Let dry for 2 minutes.
- Apply Polysporin ointment after cleaning with Hydrogen Peroxide after the 3rd day for up to one week.
- DO NOT PICK AT SCABS.
- Keep incisions open our nurse has removed the dressing typically 2-3 days following your procedure.
4. What you Need to Know:
- Please take your anti-biotic and pain medication as prescribed.
- Best to separate anti-biotic and pain medication, 2 hours apart to avoid nausea/vomiting.
- Leave surgical bandage in place for 24- 48 hrs.
- Dressing will be removed by our nursess, at our clinic 2-3 days following the procedure.
- Sleep with head propped up with 2-3 pillows for the first 3 days.
- Do not sleep on your side for 7-10 days.
- The sutures used in this procedure are dissolvable, thus do not need to be removed.
- Standard post-operative bruising and swelling may last for up to 2 weeks. Please be patient.
- Sleep with headband on for 3-6 weeks, unless otherwise stated by Dr. Solomon.
- You may experience pain during the recovery process. Take Tylenol for pain.
- Some numbness may exist around the operative area for a few weeks.
- Tenderness may last up to 3 months.
- Bathing is allowed one day post-operatively. Avoid direct stream of water on the surgical site for one week.
- You may shampoo your hair after 5 days.
5. What to AVOID post-surgery
- Avoid bending over or lifting heavy things for one week. Besides aggravating swelling, this may raise your blood pressure and start haemorrhage.
- Smoking/Vaping (Nicotine, Marijuana and CBD oil) for one month, as it may prolong healing and increase risk of complications.
- Alcohol for at least 2 week pre-op and 2 weeks post-operatively, as it may cause fluid retention and prolong swelling. Alcohol should not be taken with pain medication.
- Naturopathic or herbal medications, unless approved by Dr. Solomon
- Aspirin, Advil or Ibuprofen, as these products may prolong swelling.
- Moderate physical exercise for up to 4 weeks post-operatively.
- Strenuous physical exercise for up to 6 weeks post-operatively
- Direct sun exposure on incisions for up to 12 months. Use a minimum of SPF 45 daily.
- Air Travel for 48 hours.
If you experience any of the following listed below, please contact Dr. Solomon directly by email at email@example.com, or call our office at 905-764-7799. You can also reach our administration team by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you develop a large firm mass extending from the surgical area.
- If you develop a rash, persistent fever, chills or sweating.
- If you notice a foul odour or yellow drainage coming from the incision sites.
- If you experience severe pain, that is not controlled with Tylenol.
- If you experience persistent bleeding that does not resolve in 20 minutes or with direct pressure.
- Persistent vomiting and inability to drink liquids for greater than 4 hours.
- Shortness of breath, chest pain, weakness or numbness in the face or limbs.
IF WE ARE NOT ABLE TO BE REACHED, PLEASE GO TO YOUR NEAREST HOSPTIAL EMERGENCY FOR ASSESSMENT.
Please Notify Dr. Philip Solomon of any Unexpected Admission to the Hospital within 10 Days of your Procedure.
If you require any clarification regarding these instructions or would like to arrange a follow up appointment with the nurse, please call the office at 905.764.7799 or email us at email@example.com