Summer is one of the busiest times of the year at our clinic for cosmetic procedures. Students are usually on a break from university, college or high school, and working professionals tend to take summer vacations to get out and enjoy the great weather. This makes it an ideal time to book your rhinoplasty procedure so that you can relax at home, avoid physical activity and public appearances for a short while. It’s also a time when family and friends may be more available to give you a helping hand during your recovery process.
Most people are able to get back to their regular routine following a brief resting period of about 7 to 10 days. However, patients should anticipate that the surgery will affect physically active recreational plans and should accommodate their schedule accordingly.
- Limit Exposure to direct sunlight
- Avoid used of eyewear
- Do not wet the nose
- Choose above waist garments carefully, avoid clothing that needs to be pulled over your head
The summer weather is the perfect time to go to the beach or have a swim in the pool. However, directly after rhinoplasty, it is important to hold the water activities until your surgeon gives you the green light. Water exposure could affect the healing process in the following ways:
- Impact from waves or jumping into water can cause trauma.
- Water may dampen any supporting structures placed around your nose by the surgeon. The Same effect can be seen due to sweating in hot weather.
- Any physically straining activities such as diving, jumping into the pool, or bumping into other swimmers at the incision site can break the stitches and misalign the position of the nose.
- Public pools, hot tubs and even baths are filled with bacteria that pose an infection risk for fresh, surgical incisions.
Post Surgical Travel
Rhinoplasty does not mean you would have to give up your summer travelling. The day of as well as the day after your surgery, general anaesthetic can leave you feeling dizzy and tired. It is recommended that you relax for at least a day or two before taking any long trips. Talk to your surgeon about when it will be safe for you to travel and be sure to ask helpful tips to relieve pressure or nasal dryness while flying.
Dr. Philip Solomon is certified in Canada in Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. He is also a board certified facial plastic and reconstructive surgeon. Dr. Solomon specializes in rhinoplasty, facelift, blepharoplasty, and otoplasty surgeries. He will be happy to further explain the recovery process during a consultation prior to your surgery.